Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oscar's 2011 Best Picture nominees

There were 10 films nominated for the Best Picture Oscar in 2011.
Those films were:

"Black Swan", "The Fighter", "Inception", "The Kids Are All Right",
"The King's Speech", "127 Hours", "The Social Network",
"Toy Story 3", "True Grit", "Winter's Bone"

When I review a movie, I typically put a lot of emphasis on its ability to move me emotionally whether it be through tears and/or laugher.  Sometimes a movie doesn't have to move me emotionally, but it can be just so damn entertaining that you forget about the outside world, and the only thing that exists at that very moment are the images and sounds being presented to you.  With that in mind, this is how I rank the Oscar nom'ed movies.  Note:  I have not seen "The King's Speech" at the time of this post.

  1. Inception
  2. Black Swan
  3. Toy Story 3
  4. True Grit
  5. 127 Hours
  6. The Fighter
  7. The Social Network
  8. The Kids Are All Right
  9. Winter's Bone
At a later date, I may devote a post to each of these movies, but I will say that "Inception" and "Black Swan" fell into the "so damn entertaining" category while "Toy Story 3", "True Grit", "127 Hours" and "The Fighter" fell into the "emotionally moving" category, ranked from "moving" me the most to least.  "The Social Network" was a very good movie, and I plan on giving it a second watch.  "The Kids Are All Right" and "Winter's Bone" shouldn't have been nominated and were pretty much a waste of time to watch.  I plan on watching "The King's Speech" once it becomes available on Netflix on the 19th of April.