Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Black Mirror Season 2 review

S2E1: Be Right Back - Hayley Atwell really carries this episode and her reactions feel natural and unforced. With only seeing her in the Captain America movies, I didn't realize how talented and attractive she actually is. Domhnall Gleeson plays a good robot. I wonder if he gave Alicia Vikander tips when they were in "Ex Machina" together. The end was super heartbreaking. Everything ends up in the attic.

S2E2: White Bear - I really enjoyed this episode as I thought it was going to be a social commentary on people's first reaction to film instead of helping someone in need, but it turned out to be way more twisted.  I liked that the episode made me care about the main character and then wanted me to hate her when new information was learned concerning what she actually had done and then going along with what her punishment was - a virtual hell.

S2E3: The Waldo Moment - As I'm not a huge fan of politics, I couldn't 100% get behind this episode, but I did get what it was trying to get across.  To me, it felt a little too far fetched.  I actually cared more about the relationships, or lack there of, between the main male and female characters as that felt more real then everyone blindly following the rants of an obscene /comedic cartoon character.

S2E4: White Christmas - Excellent episode from start to finish.  Jon Hamm totally owns this episode and while his character wins, he also loses.  It's heartbreaking for all characters involved, but the story is so well done that I ended up admiring it.  This is definitely my favorite episode of the series thus far.  And while all the episodes are self contained stories, it probably helps to watch episode 103 before watching this one.