Monday, July 13, 2015

A Most Violent Year [2014] review

This movie takes place in NYC 1981 and assumes you know the history ahead of time, which I did not, but I read the statistics afterwards and it sounds pretty bad. This movie focuses on one business owner trying to make it in the world as his oil trucks are stolen and his drivers are car jacked / beat up. No one is killed, but I guess it's pretty violent for that business owner. You see a couple of guns and some of those guns get fired, but I think the only people that die suffer from self inflicted wounds. The only thing I remember getting shot is a deer. Actually, someone might get shot with a shotgun, but the character isn't developed so you only slightly care and the movie does little to address it. Oscar Isaacs is good, but I liked him better in "Inside Llewyn Davis". Jessica Chastain did not impress me in this film especially since she was trying to be half a gangster herself. I try not to put high expectations on a film as I end up disappointed, but if you're going to title your film a certain way, it should at least live up to the title.