Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Inherent Vice [2014] review

In the first few minutes, as the plot unfolds, it becomes apparent that everything is somehow connected. While I enjoy a good mystery, I felt that I needed to map it out on paper and utilize the subtitles to keep it all straight. This movie was more enjoyable when I went back to re-watch certain scenes. I found a lot of humor in the first half of the movie, but unfortunately, the pacing of the second half of the movie slowed down considerably where it didn't pick up back again until the climax/finale. So while there were some success with the plot, it was hard to ignore the weaknesses.

As for the characters, I did enjoy all the recognizable faces as well as the acting. Even though Reese Witherspoon had a small role in the film, I did enjoy seeing her and Phoenix act together again. Some of the stoner type of acting grated on me a bit, but thankfully it didn't detract too much and sometimes it added to the humor, especially in the way the hippies were treated by the police.

I'd give this movie 3/5 stars with it potentially earning .5 to 1.0 points on a full second watch.